Thursday, November 12, 2015

Elf in Stocking Card





Today I played with the KaDoodle Bug Designs digital version of "Elf in Stocking" which is a current freebie. I don't have any of the beautiful artist's pens that everyone seems to be using lately, so I decided to experiment with what I did have. Here's the result of my "play session."



Since I don't have any flesh colored pens that would give the effect I wanted, I used Stampin Up chalk to add a touch of color to the faces and hands of all my elves. I'll take each coloring medium I used one at a time. First, I used a variety of gel pens, some of which were glitter pens.



I was pretty happy with the results from the gel pens. The coverage was fairly smooth and I liked the added glitter effect from the glitter pens. The elf on my card was also done with gel pens.



I next experimented with Stampin Up watercolor pens and Zig blender pens.I was surprised that these gave a streakier effect than I expected. Maybe my results would have been better with different paper. I used plain Georgia Pacific cardstock. Since I have a complete set of these pens I think I will experiment some more with them and try to get better results.





Finally, I used a set of Stampin Up watercolor pencils. If you like a subtle, light, watercolor effect, these work really well. The blender pen worked very well blending the colors evenly. 




I hope my little experiment was helpful. I hope you have a happy, crafty day! ~ Shirley






2 comments: