Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Merry Christmas Skates




When I saw this cute pattern, "Merry Christmas Skates" from KaDoodle Bug Designs I knew that the polar bear and penguin had to be tear bears, even though it has been a very long time since I made a tear bear.



MATERIALS LIST

Heavy mulberry paper in white
Glitter paper in white and red
Flocked or velveteen paper in black
Glossy green paper
Silver metallic paper
white cardstock (for the card base)
twine in red/white (about 18 inches)
small circle punch
adhesive

I made the card base by duplicating the base layer included in the svg file. I flipped one piece horizontally and welded the two base pieces together at the heel.

I cut all the pieces out of the appropriate papers except for the penguin belly and polar bear which were cut from cardstock. The cardstock penguin and polar bear pieces will be used as patterns and are traced onto the backside of the mulberry paper. Use a wet paintbrush to trace over your outlined shapes on the mulberry paper. VERY CAREFULLY tear out the shapes along the traced lines. Assemble your other card pieces while the mulberry dries. Use the circle punch to make 5 holes about 1/2 inch in from the front edge of the skate to use for lacing the skate. Tape down one end of the twine to the back and lace the other end through the holes as shown. Tape this end to the back and cut the twine. Make a little bow and glue it at the top just below where the penguin will be.

When the mulberry pieces are dry, take a stiff brush and CAREFULLY brush from the center out on each piece until you get the "fuzzy" effect you are after. Finish assembling your card.

I hope you enjoyed this little project and thanks for stopping by!
 ~ Shirley

38 comments:

  1. Glad Ive been directed to this site... More inspiration with becoming a beginner card maker.. Ty..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mulberry paper always bring the character to real life. Looking GOOD ....... Awesome Job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Adri! I'm a little rusty at using mulberry paper, but now that I've done this one, I'm sure I will be doing more in the future.

      Delete
  3. Cute! I love that you chose to use mulberry paper. Definitely gives it some dimension and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Balenda! I haven't used mulberry paper in a while but I'm sure I'll be using it again.

      Delete
  4. This is so cute and creative! Love mulberry paper, the possibilities are endless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mellisa! I love the effects you can get with mulberry paper also! :)

      Delete
  5. That's so cute, thanks for sharing and doing the Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its beautiful!! I have mulberry paper and I haven't use it yet, I'm afraid of ripping it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruthie! Just make sure it's pretty wet and go slow!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful use of mulberry paper! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful use of mulberry paper! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all the wonderful comments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your talent is obvious. Great Cards.

    ReplyDelete