Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Witchy Owls Shadow Box


I just love Halloween! Today I am sharing a cute shadow box I made using a $.25 ten inch shadow box frame I bought at a thrift store.


Materials List:

1 -  ten inch shadow box frame
2 - Midnight Magic from Ghouls and Goodies Collection by Doodlebug Paper Inc.
cardstock in bright green, orange, black, gray, purple, lilac, yellow, fushia and white
10 x 10 piece of chipboard
glue, double sided tape, dot runner tape

Pattern List

CK Witchy Owls from KaDoodlebug Designs
Spiderweb Corners from My Scrap Chick
Halloween Tree from Celebrate With Flourish by Cricut
Scalloped frame from Design Space
Title is from my system fonts




I first made a scalloped frame with scrap paper using a pattern from design space. I made it as large as would fit on the mat. When I placed it on the frame it was slightly small so I traced it about a 1/4 inch larger onto one of the Midnight Magic papers and cut it out by hand. This was attached to the front of the frame with double stick tape. I then traced the back panel onto the other piece of Midnight Magic paper, cut it out and attached it to the panel. This will be used as the base on which the scene will be built. 

I cut out the patterns in the colors shown. The owls range in size from 3 1/4 inches to 3 3/4 inches. The tree is 7 1/2 inches tall and I cut off the crow that is part of the pattern. The webs are about 2 1/2 inches and the title letters are 1 inch tall. The patterns were inked and attached to the back in this way:

The tree was attached directly to the center of the back.
The owl on the broom was attached using two layers of foam tape.
The pumpkin with the hat was attached with two layers of foam tape.
The owl with pumpkin was attached with five layers of foam tape.
The owl with cauldron was attached with five layers of foam tape.
The spider webs were attached directly to the inside of the glass with dot runner tape applied to the very outside of the webs where it would be hidden by the frame.
The title was run through a xyron and attached to the frame front centered at the top.

After all the patterns were securely attached to the background, I attached the background to the 10x10 inch piece of chipboard. I attached the glass to the frame using picture clips.( I bent mine so they wouldn't show from the front.) Then I attached the chipboard to the back of the frame using double stick tape.



I hope you enjoyed my project as much as I enjoyed making it! ~ Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment